In this article I'll share my insights into how to prepare your home to sell quickly and for top dollar.
From experience, REALTORS® know that a "well-polished" house appeals to more buyers and will sell faster and for a higher price. Additionally, buyers feel more comfortable purchasing a well-cared for home because if what they can see is maintained, what they can't see has probably also been maintained. In readying your house for sale, consider:
- Clean, clean, clean! Remove clutter & personal items.
- Removing the less frequently used, even daily used items from kitchen counters, closets, and attics, making these areas much more inviting.
- If necessary, repainting dingy, soiled or strongly colored walls with a neutral shade of paint.
- Repair cracks, holes or damage to plaster, wallboard, wallpaper, paint, and tiles.
- Replace broken or cracked windowpanes, moldings, and other woodwork.
- Sprucing up a kitchen in need of more major remodeling by investing in new cabinet knobs, new curtains, or a coat of neutral paint.
- Remove any chipping or peeling paint and repaint those surfaces. (This is more important than you can imagine)!
Bobbi Higgs is a licensed REALTOR working with Faulkner Real Estate in Ulysses, Kansas. She specializes in residential sales. Bobbi is a member of the National Association of REALTORs, the Kansas Association of REALTORs and the Southwest Board of REALTORs.